Monday, December 18, 2006

Corporate Greed, Timidity, Hypocrisy and Merry Christmas

Okay, for the past several days I've been focusing mostly on the anti-"happy holiday" crowd and the silliness of such an outcry over a rather minor point. But now, to be fair as a refugee from the culture war, I must say, the corporations stumbled big time on this one through a combination of greed, timidity and hypocrisy.

Certainly, many businesses instituted a "Happy Holidays" policy which played down or eliminated any mention of the word Christmas. This was likely done in part to reach out to those who do not celebrate Christmas and to be inclusive of such holidays as Kwanzaa and Channuka. Even though those celebrating such holidays represent a small portion of the total population when measured by millions of purchases in hundreds of stores, the potential profit is significant. And, even conservatives should agree that the main business of business is business.

However, sometimes you can be pennywise and pound foolish. Once such a policy became known, they were bound to know the Political Religious Right would make a meal of it. Ironically, this is one place where two traditional allies Big Business and Conservatism found themselves on opposite sides of the fence. The fact that there have not been wholesale firings of clerks saying "Merry Christmas" or any real sanctions or the fact that Christmas decorations dominate does nothing to ameliorate the fanatics on either side of the aisle.

Secondly, businesses which were founded by risk takers have been inherited by risk managers. Fear of giving offense in even minor ways has reached new levels in society. This is not without reason. I have heard unofficially that some businesses are claiming that they were in fear of lawsuits if they didn't back away from the use of "Merry Christmas." Of course, such a lawsuit would have little if any chance of even making it to court, simply fighting the filing could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. They probably figured that no one would be offended by "Happy Holidays" which was a reasonable assumption. But we live in unreasonable times and suddenly they find themselves caught between pressure groups being used as pawns in the culture war. And as we all know, pawns are the first pieces to be sacrificed in a chess match.

The thing that personally irritates me is the basic hypocrisy behind this. If the point was to be more inclusive of diverse people and their religious systems, the stores need to do something more than change their greeting. Look around these stores. Their clerks and signs say "Happy Holidays" but their merchandise and decorations say "Merry Christmas". You see Christmas Trees (even if called Holiday Trees, only one holiday uses a tree for decoration these days and that's Christmas), Christmas decorations, Santa Clauses, Frosty's, Nativity Scenes, Angels, Stars, Christmas Cards (with a tiny section of Channuka cards featuring little or no selections if any), Santa Hats on every head, and Christmas movie DVD's everywhere. The fact is that no one entering the store would know any other holidays were celebrated in December.

No matter what is said at the door, the truth is, it's a Christmas promotion. The stores would respond rightly that Christmas decorations dominate, because that is the most widely celebrated holiday with nearly 98 percent of the U.S. population celebrating it in some way. So, then why not be honest about it. You are targeting those who celebrate Christmas as your main customers. Why not be honest about it? You are not really promoting Channuka or Kwanzaa. So, why pretend to be interested in consumers who celebrate those holiday? Until you have a menorah in a display next to an angel or a Santa Claus, don't pretend that a generic greeting at the door makes your store one committed to diversity.

Again, the silliness of the culture war is seen. Greed and Timidity lead to a poor, offensive, and ineffective policy to give the illusion of inclusiveness. And gave the Religious Right a cause to be angry even at the most joyous and happy time of the year.

Merry Christmas to All. (Like I have a consumer base to worry about?)

1 comment:

cyn said...

Terri,

I read your post with great interest because of a couple of things that occurred just a week ago. My husband's stepson pointed out a billboard he saw and complained that it read "Happy Holidays" then his little sister remarked that she read the same greeting in a novel she'd just finished. It wasn't until I read your post that the comments truly clicked!

I asked my husband about it and he advised that I not use this expression in the Midwest for fear of offending someone! Now that was hard to get my head around.

I have used "Happy Holidays" for 3 decades as my Christmas greeting--not because I am trying to be inclusive of different groups, or because I am trying to make a point--I use it because I am extending greetings for the entire Christmas season which lasts more than one day!

I guess I am a PC-ist. I try my best not to offend anyone; not for financial gain or for public image--I do it out of respect. I don't have any problem, for instance using the preferred term to describe a race of people; it is respectful and it doesn't cost me anything to do so. If folks want me to say "Merry Christmas," then I will do so, but please explain the rules to me before I make the faux pas! But, it does come as a complete shock to realize that I've been living in Indiana for 3 years and have been inadvertantly offending a large number of people!

This is just one more example of how I am finding that life was, indeed, much simpler in Canada. I have a lot to learn in my second home. I just wish that the same folks offended my heartfelt greetings will return the favour and not refer to me as a "chick" or "girl."